This is a journal of images by California photographer Skip Moss. The places, people, and events caught through my lens. Photographs of the Central Coast and mountains of California, the landscapes of the Western U.S. and travels abroad.
Click on the photographs to enlarge them on your full screen browser, and please leave comments.
Limited edition archival prints are available of the images through www.skipmossphotography.com or contact me at mossvilles@gmail.com
All images © 2013 and beyond, Skip Moss.

1.06.2014

Out with the old, in with the new (year)

A new year brings reflection on the past year and the possibilities of the future. Since I haven't posted in some time I decided to share photographs spanning the past four weeks. In a black-and-white mood, here is a strange compilation of recent imagery.
Happy, Healthy New Year, 2014

Clicking on each image will make it larger.
December 10th, San Simeon.
Using a slow shutter speed and some camera movement I tried to describe the spinning sensation that happens during the "Holidays". 

December 16, Templeton Feed and Grain.
During a late afternoon visit to the chiropractor to help alleviated the effects of the aforementioned spinning sensation, I focused on the lines of the granary next door.

December 17, Morro Bay Harbor.
While waiting for the Space-X capsule to be lifted, a tropically calm morning of clouds and windless glass continued our dry month.

December 17, Morro Bay Power Plant.
The iconic stacks of the plant, already under deconstruction. Lots of speculation on what will happen to the 60 year old  facility.

December 24, Palm Desert.
An aluminum cross stands above the Coachella Valley at the top of a short hike on Christmas Eve.

December 30, Smuggler's Beach, San Simeon.
A minute before this the bull kelp was in a straight line pointing at the rocks. A minute later it was perpendicular.

January 1, Hearst Eucalyptus Forest.
Exorcising the demons of the past year, the dark forest seemed like an appropriate place to walk out of.

January 1, William Randolph Hearst State Beach.
For years I have seen these old Hearst Pier pilings get exposed by low tides, but never this many. I stood there long after the sunset and everyone had left watching them rise out of the surf.

2 comments:

  1. I have a certain reaction to holidays as well. Haha! It's a fuzzy and warm feeling. I wish I had the creativity to describe the feeling in a photo, but I'm not as skilled in photography as you are. Anyway, I know what you mean about chiropractic therapy. It seems to help alleviate my emotions and sensations as well, but I can't quite picture it as well as you do. I seriously wish I had your talent. I feel like those photos are really deep. Thank you for sharing them with us! :)

    Alfonso Warren @ Arkansas Pioneer Chiropractic Health Centre

    ReplyDelete

lives on the Central Coast of California. These photographs are an attempt to share the story of a place, a person, a moment as it happens. Sit back, take a deep breath, and spend some time enjoying the images.

Followers